[VIDEO] #SXSW: How Activists Are Using Technology to Fight DictatorsPosted: March 15, 2017 Filed under: Mediasphere, Science & Technology, Think Tank | Tags: Ansel Elgort, Austin, Edgar Wright, flashdrivesforfreedom.org, Jamie Foxx, Jon Bernthal, Kevin Spacey, Reason (magazine), South by Southwest, Texas, United States, video Leave a comment
Dissidents are using USB drives to smuggle information into authoritarian regimes.
“The struggle for freedom is one that used to be about who has more guns. Now information is a key component in making sure the government doesn’t get away with winning the day with its narrative and pushing what governments tend to do, which is the use of fear to control the population.”
But if you were looking for something truly disruptive at SXSW, look no further than a group of activists using tech to spread information to citizens oppressed by authoritarian regimes.
“The people out there they don’t have satellites, they don’t have internet, they have nothing,” says Abdalaziz Alhamza who escaped Syria and co-founded Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently. “To be stuck with only ISIS propaganda, it will affect them.”
Alhamza and dissidents from Eritrea, Afghanistan and Cuba were brought together by the Human Rights Foundation (HRF) for a panel discussion called “The Real Information Revolution.” Reason caught up with the group at the HRF booth on the convention floor, centered around a large wall of Kim Jong Un faces with USB ports for mouths. Attendees were invited to donate USB drives into the display. The drives will later be smuggled into North Korea after being wiped and filled with films and information from the outside world.
“The struggle for freedom is one that used to be about who has more guns. Now information is a key component in making sure the government doesn’t get away with winning the day with its narrative and pushing what governments tend to do, which is the use of fear to control the population,” says Thor Halvorssen, president of HRF.
If you’re interested in the campaign you can log onto flashdrivesforfreedom.org for more information about donating your drive.
For full text, links, and more, visit reason.com
- A SXSW Artist Cancelled Their Show After They Read The Contract’s Immigration Details (thefader.com)
- South by Southwest faces firestorm of scrutiny over immigration clause in contract (foxnews.com)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ stars Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams to guest on ‘Carpool Karaoke’ (imore.com)
- Ansel Elgort Steps on the Gas in ‘Baby Driver’ Trailer (aceshowbiz.com)
- UVA’s i.Lab Showcases Innovative University Startups at South by Southwest 2017 (newswise.com)
- Face The Music With Two Trailers For Edgar Wright’s BABY DRIVER (birthmoviesdeath.com)
- Grand Rapids Mayor Bliss joins Michigan contingent headed to SXSW (mlive.com)