Barack Obama Changed How NSA Intercepts of Americans Could Be SharedPosted: March 29, 2017 Filed under: Crime & Corruption, Mediasphere, Politics, War Room | Tags: Andrew Napolitano, Angela Merkel, Barack Obama, Devin Nunes, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Donald Trump, James Comey, National Security Agency, Trump Tower (New York City), United States Leave a comment
John Solomon and Sara Carter reports: As his presidency drew to a close, Barack Obama’s top aides routinely reviewed intelligence reports gleaned from the National Security Agency’s incidental intercepts of Americans abroad, taking advantage of rules their boss relaxed starting in 2011 to help the government better fight terrorism, espionage by foreign enemies and hacking threats, Circa has learned.
Dozens of times in 2016, those intelligence reports identified Americans who were directly intercepted talking to foreign sources or were the subject of conversations between two or more monitored foreign figures. Sometimes the Americans’ names were officially unmasked; other times they were so specifically described in the reports that their identities were readily discernible. Among those cleared to request and consume unmasked NSA-based intelligence reports about U.S. citizens were Obama’s national security adviser Susan Rice, his CIA Director John Brennan and then-Attorney General Loretta Lynch.
Some intercepted communications from November to January involved Trump transition figures or foreign figures’ perceptions of the incoming president and his administration. Intercepts involving congressional figures also have been unmasked occasionally for some time.
The NSA is expected to turn over logs as early as this week to congressional committees detailing who consumed reports with unmasked Americans’ identities from their intercepts since the summer of 2016. … (read more)
Source: Circa News
- Top US national security official ridicules Donald Trump’s suggestion that Britain spied on him (telegraph.co.uk)
- Trump feels ‘somewhat’ vindicated after Nunes intel briefing (wbrz.com)
- NSA Documents Prove Surveillance of Donald Trump and Family (grumpyelder.com)
- In Shocker, FBI and NSA Testify That Trump Is Full of Shit (motherjones.com)
- NOT BACKING DOWN: Trump stands by wiretap claim, jokes he has ‘something in common’ with Merkel (foxnews.com)
- Sources: DOJ Report Does Not Confirm Trump’s Wiretap Claim (fox40.com)
- Immigration is ‘privilege’, not a ‘right’ security – Trump (vanguardngr.com)