Posted: October 22, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Entertainment, Humor, Mediasphere, White House | Tags: Addison Russell, Barack Obama, Bill Murray, Chicago Cubs, Jon Lester, Josh Earnest, Los Angeles Dodgers, Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, White House, White House Press Secretary
Talking up the Chicago Cubs, the Hollywood star wanders into the press briefing Room just after White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest had finished his daily briefing.
Actor Bill Murray sporting a Chicago Cubs jacket and cap talks during a brief visit in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, Friday, Oct. 21, 2016. Murray is in Washington to receive the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta
Posted: October 17, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Entertainment, Mediasphere, U.S. News | Tags: FBI, FBI Report, Hillary Clinton, media, New York, New York Post, news, Newspaper, Tabloid
Posted: October 16, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Entertainment, Mediasphere, Politics, White House | Tags: 2016 Presidential Election, Bill O'Rielly, Breakfast television, Buzzfeed, CBS, CNN, DNC, Donald Trump, Facebook, Free Media, Gary Johnson, Mainstream media, media, Media bias, NBC, news, NewsCorp, RNC, Sean Hannity, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Twitter
Allapundit, via Twitter
Source: New York Times
Posted: October 14, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Global, Mediasphere, Politics, Russia, Science & Technology, U.S. News, War Room | Tags: Barack Obama, CIA, Cyber Attack, Cyber Crime, Cyberwarfare, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, NBC News, United States Congress, White House, White House Press Secretary
CIA Prepping for Possible Cyber Strike Against Russia
William M. Arkin, Ken Dilanian, and Robert Windrem report: The Obama administration is contemplating an unprecedented cyber covert action against Russia in retaliation for alleged Russian interference in the American presidential election, U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.
Current and former officials with direct knowledge of the situation say the CIA has been asked to deliver options to the White House for a wide-ranging “clandestine” cyber operation designed to harass and “embarrass” the Kremlin leadership.
The sources did not elaborate on the exact measures the CIA was considering, but said the agency had already begun opening cyber doors, selecting targets and making other preparations for an operation. Former intelligence officers told NBC News that the agency had gathered reams of documents that could expose unsavory tactics by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Vice President Joe Biden told “Meet the Press” moderator Chuck Todd on Friday that “we’re sending a message” to Putin and that “it will be at the time of our choosing, and under the circumstances that will have the greatest impact.”
When asked if the American public will know a message was sent, the vice president replied, “Hope not.”
Retired Admiral James Stavridis told NBC News’ Cynthia McFadden that the U.S. should attack Russia’s ability to censor its internal internet traffic and expose the financial dealings of Putin and his associates.
“It’s well known that there’s great deal of offshore money moved outside of Russia from oligarchs,” he said. “It would be very embarrassing if that was revealed, and that would be a proportional response to what we’ve seen” in Russia’s alleged hacks and leaks targeting U.S. public opinion.
Sean Kanuck, who was until this spring the senior U.S. intelligence official responsible for analyzing Russian cyber capabilities, said not mounting a response would carry a cost.
“If you publicly accuse someone,” he said, “and don’t follow it up with a responsive action, that may weaken the credible threat of your response capability.”
President Obama will ultimately have to decide whether he will authorize a CIA operation. Officials told NBC News that for now there are divisions at the top of the administration about whether to proceed.
Two former CIA officers who worked on Russia told NBC News that there is a long history of the White House asking the CIA to come up with options for covert action against Russia, including cyber options — only to abandon the idea.
“We’ve always hesitated to use a lot of stuff we’ve had, but that’s a political decision,” one former officer said. “If someone has decided, `We’ve had enough of the Russians,’ there is a lot we can do. Step one is to remind them that two can play at this game and we have a lot of stuff. Step two, if you are looking to mess with their networks, we can do that, but then the issue becomes, they can do worse things to us in other places.”
Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: October 14, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Entertainment, Mediasphere, Politics, White House | Tags: Cable News, CNN, Democratic Party Operatives, Denzel Washington, media, Media bias, Michelle Obama, news, video
Posted: October 12, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Global, Guns and Gadgets, Self Defense, War Room | Tags: Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, Aegis Combat System, Al Hudaydah, Ali Abdullah Saleh, Anti-ship missile, Arab world, Bab-el-Mandeb, Cooperative Engagement Capability, Houthis, HSV-2 Swift, Lockheed Martin, Red Sea, RIM-174 Standard ERAM, Saudi Arabia, United States Navy, Yemen
Mason launched two Standard Missile-2s (SM-2s) and a single Enhanced Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) to intercept the two missiles that were launched about 7 P.M. local time. In addition to the missiles, the ship used its Nulka anti-ship missile decoy
Sam LaGrone reports: The crew of a guided-missile destroyer fired three missiles to defend themselves and another ship after being attacked on Sunday in the Red Sea by two presumed cruise missiles fired by Iran-backed Houthi-forces, USNI News has learned.
During the attack against USS Mason (DDG-87), the ship’s crew fired the missiles to defend the guided-missile destroyer and nearby USS Ponce (AFSB(I)-15) from two suspected cruise missiles fired from the Yemini shore, two defense officials told USNI News.
Mason launched two Standard Missile-2s (SM-2s) and a single Enhanced Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) to intercept the two missiles that were launched about 7 P.M. local time. In addition to the missiles, the ship used its Nulka anti-ship missile decoy, the sources confirmed. Mason was operating in international waters north of the strait of Bab el-Mandeb at the time of the attack.
Afloat Forward Staging Base (Interim) USS Ponce (AFSB(I)-15) on April 11, 2016. US Navy Photo
According to a defense official on Monday, Mason “employed onboard defensive measures” against the first suspected cruise missile, “although it is unclear whether this led to the missile striking the water or whether it would have struck the water anyway.” The official did not specify that the defensive measure was a missile fired from the ship.
USNI News understands, as of Monday, the crew of the ship was uncertain if the suspected cruise missile was taken out by an SM-2 or went into the water on its own. In the Monday statement, the Pentagon said an investigation was ongoing.
The second missile launched from Yemen hit the water without being struck by a U.S. interceptor, the Pentagon said. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: October 11, 2016 Filed under: Mediasphere, Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Politics, Censorship | Tags: Barack Obama, Democratic Party (United States), Sarah Palin, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, The New York Times, Hard Choices, Tim Kaine, Jennifer Palmieri, Going Rogue
Hillary Clinton spent time in summer 2015 with The New York Times reporter Mark Leibovich and made a crack about 2008 Republican presidential candidate Sarah Palin.
But the remark didn’t make it into the long profile. Leibovich agreed to give the Clinton campaign veto power over the statements she made.
The revelation comes in Part III of a massive email release from WikiLeaks.
Leibovich evidently gave the campaign the ability to ax quotes as part of a deal for access. Representatives from The Times did not immediately respond to an inquiry from LifeZette.
Leibovich emailed campaign Communications Director Jennifer Palmieri on July 7, 2015, to try to lobby for a batch of quotes.
“These exchanges were pretty interesting … would love the option to use,” he wrote.
[Read the full story here, at LifeZette]
The Palin shot came during a discussion between Clinton and Leibovich in which the Democratic candidate for president discussed having eaten moose stew in Alaska. “So that’s why I always got a big kick out of Sarah Palin with all of her, ‘We’re cooking up some moose stew here,'” she said. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: October 10, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Entertainment, Humor | Tags: Acid Washed, Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, LSD, NBC News, Parody, satire
Posted: October 9, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Entertainment, Mediasphere, Politics, White House | Tags: Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, media, New York, New York Post, news, Presidential Debate, Tabloid
Posted: October 6, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Censorship, Crime & Corruption, Politics, White House | Tags: Al Jadeed, Democratic National Committee, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Hacker (computer security), Michael McCaul, Republican National Committee, Republican Party (United States), The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, United States House Committee on Homeland Security, Wolf Blitzer
Emails obtained by the Republican National Committee find close contact with Hillary Clinton’s nascent presidential campaign in early 2015
Byron Tau reports: Newly disclosed emails show top Obama administration officials were in close contact with Hillary Clinton’s nascent presidential campaign in early 2015 about the potential fallout from revelations that the former secretary of state used a private email server.
Their discussion included a request from the White House communications director to her counterpart at the State Department to see if it was possible to arrange for Secretary of State John Kerry to avoid questions during media appearances about Mrs. Clinton’s email arrangement.
In another instance, a top State Department official assured an attorney for Mrs. Clinton that, contrary to media reports, a department official hadn’t told Congress that Mrs. Clinton erred in using a private email account.
[Read the full text here, at WSJ]
The previously unreported emails were obtained by the Republican National Committee as part of a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit seeking records of Mrs. Clinton’s time in office. The RNC provided to The Wall Street Journal only some of the emails, leaving it unclear what was in the remaining documents. The RNC said it released only emails relevant to the communication between the White House and State Department.
Secretary of State John Kerry was interviewed on CBS shortly after the existence of Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server became known. Photo: Jason DeCrow/Associated Press
Meredith McGehee, chief of policy, programs, and strategy at the nonpartisan advocacy group Issue One and an expert on ethics and campaign finance, said the email exchange would probably raise no legal concerns because federal law permits members of the White House staff to engage in some political activity.
Mrs. Clinton’s email arrangement has dogged her campaign for months, with Republicans and other critics saying it shows a carelessness with government secrets and undermines her claim to good judgment. Donald Trump’s campaign posted a statement on his website last month saying the Obama White House knew Mrs. Clinton was using a private email server.
Mrs. Clinton has acknowledged the arrangement was a mistake, but she has rejected the notion that national secrets were placed at risk. Her campaign didn’t respond to a request for comment about the new email disclosures.
The emails highlight the revolving door between the State Department, the White House and the Clinton campaign in early 2015 as Mrs. Clinton geared up to run for president. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: October 6, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Mediasphere, Politics, White House | Tags: 2016 Presidential Campaign, Bill Clinton, media, news, Protest, Rape, video
Posted: September 30, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Mediasphere | Tags: American Immigration Lawyers Association, Cascade Mall, Citizenship, Citizenship of the United States, Federal government of the United States, Immigration law, KING-TV, Turkey, United States, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, United States Department of State
A federal official told KING that further investigation revealed that Cetin is a naturalized U.S. citizen. That means he was legally registered to vote.
UPDATE: KING 5 learned Thursday that Arcan Cetin, the 20-year-old who killed five people at Cascade Mall on Sept. 23, is in fact a U.S. citizen.
[Original Post: Cascade Mall Shooting Suspect Arcan Cetin Not a U.S Citizen, Voted in 3 Elections Anyway
For days after the shooting, Cetin was described by local and federal law enforcement as being a permanent U.S. resident. He immigrated to the U.S. from Turkey when he was a child, after his mother married an American citizen.
On Thursday, a federal official told KING that further investigation revealed that Cetin is a naturalized U.S. citizen. That means he was legally registered to vote.
KING’s initial story on Sept. 28 questioned state officials about how Cetin could register and vote without being a citizen.
ORIGINAL STORY FROM SEPT. 28 IS BELOW:
The Cascade Mall shooting suspect, Arcan Cetin, may face an additional investigation related to his voting record and citizenship status.
Federal sources confirm to KING 5 that Cetin was not a U.S. citizen, meaning legally he cannot vote. However, state records show Cetin registered to vote in 2014 and participated in three election cycles, including the May presidential primary….(read more) Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: September 29, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption, Law & Justice, Mediasphere | Tags: Arcan Cetin, Cascade Mall Shooting, Citizenship, Citizenship of the United States, Election Assistance Commission, Immigration to the United States, Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, Washington State
The Cascade Mall shooting suspect, Arcan Cetin, may face an additional investigation related to his voting record and citizenship status.
Natalie Brand reports: Federal sources confirm to KING 5 that Cetin was not a U.S. citizen, meaning legally he cannot vote. However, state records show Cetin registered to vote in 2014 and participated in three election cycles, including the May presidential primary.
“Our hands are kind of tied, but make no mistake, we want to make sure that everybody has confidence that people casting ballots are eligible. This is certainly going to be a topic at next legislation.”
— Secretary of State Kim Wyman
Cetin, who immigrated to the United States from Turkey as a child, is considered a permanent resident or green card holder. While a permanent resident can apply for U.S. citizenship after a certain period of time, sources tell KING his status had not changed from green card holder to U.S. citizen.
[View the full story here, at KING5.com]
While voters must attest to citizenship upon registering online or registering to vote at the Department of Licensing Office, Washington state doesn’t require proof of citizenship. Therefore elections officials say the state’s elections system operates, more or less, under an honor system. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: September 24, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption | Tags: #CascadeMallShooting, Arcan Cetin, Call of Duty, Mental health, Ronald Reagan, Turkey, Washington State
Arcan ‘The Turk’ Cetin: The suspect in the shooting deaths of five people in a mall in Washington state has been named.
Online records show that Cetin was arrested in July 2015 on charges of assault in the fourth degree. KIRO reports that as a result of the charges, Cetin was ordered to undergo mental health counselling that he completed in March 2016.
During which time, he was ordered not to take drugs or drink alcohol. As of August 25, 2016, Cetin was found in compliance with the court order.
Initial descriptions had described Cetin as being Hispanic. According to his Facebook page, Cetin is a native of Adana in Turkey. He’s a graduate of Oak Harbor High School, class of 2015.
Cetin describes his nickname as “The Turk.” Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: September 24, 2016 Filed under: Breaking News, Crime & Corruption | Tags: Arcan Cetin, Burlington, Cascade Mall, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, Washington, Washington State Patrol
The suspect in a shooting at a Washington state mall Friday that left five people dead has been caught, the Washington State Patrol said Saturday.
Arcan Cetin, 20, of Oak Harbor, was arrested, a spokesman for the state patrol said. The patrol first announced the arrest on Twitter at around 7:15 p.m. local time (10:15 p.m. ET).
Five victims — four females and a male — were killed after a gunman described as wearing a black T-shirt and black shorts opened fire inside a Macy’s department store at the Cascade Mall in Burlington just before 7 p.m. local time (10 p.m. ET). Oak Harbor is about 28 miles southwest of Burlington.
Rachel Marsh, 15, right, and Selena Orozco, 15, left, carry flowers as they attend a prayer service, Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016, at the Central United Methodist Church in Sedro-Woolley, Wash. The service was held in regard to Friday’s fatal shooting of several people at a Macy’s department store at the Cascade Mall in nearby Burlington, Wash. Both girls said they knew one of the victims of the shooting. Ted S. Warren / AP
Security footage showed the man entering the mall, apparently without a weapon. In additional footage from about 10 minutes later, he “entered Macy’s with a rifle and fired multiple times,” Mt. Vernon police Lt. Chris Cammock said earlier.
A handout picture provided by the Skagit County Department of Emergency Management earlier Saturday shows the suspect in the fatal shooting at the Cascade Mall in Burlington, Washington, Friday. WASHINGTON STATE PARTOL
The four female victims were pronounced dead Friday night, and the male victim was taken to a hospital where he died overnight, authorities said. Read the rest of this entry »