70 147 Kenyan students were massacred Thursday when Somalia‘s Shebab Islamist group raided a university, the interior minister said, the country’s deadliest attack since US embassy bombings in 1998.
“Unfortunately, we lost… a number of lives, we have not confirmed fully…”
“We are mopping up the area,” Interior Minster Joseph Nkaiserry told reporters, saying that four gunmen had been killed after Kenyan troops launched an assault on the final building where the insurgents had holed up for over 12 hours.
“The terrorists, 90 percent of the threat has been eliminated… we have been able to confirm that four terrorists have been killed.”
“Unfortunately, we lost… a number of lives, we have not confirmed fully, but it is in the region of 70 students, and 79 have been injured, nine of them critically,” he added.
The masked gunmen began the assault before dawn, using grenades to blast open the gates of the university in the northeastern town of Garissa, near the lawless border with war-torn Somalia, before attacking students as they slept. Read the rest of this entry »
Local media say that two policemen and a student have been injured and rushed to hospital, and Kenyan defence forces are said to have arrived at the scene.
It is not clear who is responsible for the attack, but Somali al-Shabaab militants have frequently targeted Kenya in the past few years….developing….
Police say Joan Kagezi, who was prosecuting the case of 13 men on trial for killing 76 people, was followed on a motorbike as she drove home
Joan Kagezi, acting assistant director of public prosecution, was murdered by men on a motorbike as she drove home in a suburb of the capital, Kampala police spokesman Patrick Onyango said. “They were trailing her on a motorcycle … They shot her dead.”
Her current cases included the trial of men allegedly linked to July 2010 suicide bombings targeting football fans watching the World Cup final at a restaurant and a rugby club in Kampala. Somalia’s al-Qaida-affiliated Shabaab militants claimed responsibility for the attack, the group’s first outside Somalia.
The trial of the accused – seven Kenyans, five Ugandans and one Tanzanian – began earlier this month at Uganda’s high court on a range of charges including terrorism, murder and membership of a terrorist organisation.
All but one have also been charged with belonging to the Shabaab. The case was due to resume on Tuesday.
Jane Kajuga, spokeswoman for the office of the director of public prosecution, confirmed the death of Kagezi, lead prosector in the bombing trial, and who also led the prosecution’s anti-terrorism and war crimes section.
MOGADISHU, Somalia) —Abdi Guled reports: A member of the Somali Islamic extremist group al-Shabab and a Somali government intelligence official say a military strike, possibly a drone attack, killed at least two senior al-Shabab rebels.
The al-Shabab member, who gave his name as Abu Mohamed, said one of those killed was al-Shabab’s top explosives expert, known as Anta. He said a drone targeted a car carrying al-Shabab rebels in Somalia’s Middle Juba region.
A Somali intelligence official in Mogadishu said the attack occurred as al-Shabab members went to intervene in a clan dispute. The official insisted on anonymity because he is not authorized to share intelligence.
Earlier this month, United States Navy SEALS attacked a coastal Somali town to take down a Kenyan al-Shabab member. The SEALs withdrew before capturing or killing their target.