Posted: October 24, 2015 Filed under: Crime & Corruption, Global, Law & Justice, Mediasphere, Politics, White House | Tags: al Qaeda, Al Queda, Ansar al-Sharia, Barack Obama, Benghazi, Chelsea Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Mohammed Magariaf, Obama administration, Oskar Schindler, Refugees of the Syrian civil war, September 11, The Daily Caller
Chuck Ross reports: Hillary Clinton sent an email to her daughter, Chelsea, on Sept. 11, 2012 in which she asserted that an al-Qaida-like group was responsible for the terrorist attacks in Benghazi, it was revealed on Thursday during the former secretary of state’s testimony to the House Select Committee on Benghazi.
The email, which was revealed by Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan , indicates that Clinton knew early on that the attacks which left four Americans dead was carried out by terrorists. But as Jordan pointed out, Clinton and others in the Obama administration had already begun crafting the narrative that the attack was spontaneous and that the attackers were motivated by a YouTube video many Muslims found offensive.
In the email cited by Jordan, Clinton responded to daughter Chelsea, who emailed under the pseudonym Diane Reynolds.
“Two of our officers were killed in Benghazi by an Al Queda-like [sic] group,” Clinton wrote.
But shortly before the email, after it was revealed that Ambassador Chris Stevens had been murdered in the onslaught, Clinton implied that the YouTube video had served as a motive.
“Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted to the Internet,” Clinton said in a statement shortly after Stevens’ death.
The Obama administration continued for days after the attack to claim that the YouTube video — entitled “Innocence of Muslims” — had sparked protests which turned violent. Critics of the administration’s handling of the response to the attack assert that the YouTube video was used as political cover to protect Obama ahead of his re-election bid. Obama had been on the campaign trail insisting that he had destroyed al-Qaida.
[Read the full text here, at The Daily Caller]
Jordan compared Clinton’s disparate positions, asserting that she “knew the truth” but insisted on casting some blame on the video.
“You tell the American people one thing, you tell your family an entirely different story,” Jordan said. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: July 5, 2014 Filed under: Crime & Corruption, Law & Justice, U.S. News, War Room, White House | Tags: 2012 Benghazi attack, Ansar al-Sharia, Benghazi, Hillary Clinton, Jay Carney, Susan Rice, Tyrone Woods, United States Department of Justice
“We will make sure that the person who made that film is arrested and prosecuted”
— Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to Father of SEAL killed in Benghazi
Court documents filed by the U.S. Justice Department in the criminal case against Benghazi attack suspect Ahmed Abu Khatallah provide unprecedented details about the evolution of the assault and further shatter the Obama administration’s initial claim that it sprouted from protests over an anti-Islam film.
The narrative that the video played a role continues to live on, with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton saying recently that some of the attackers may indeed have been influenced by the online video.
But the Justice Department’s court filings make clear that at least those spearheading the attack were part of a “conspiracy,” one that involved several members of the Ansar al-Sharia “Islamic extremist militia.”
A government motion filed Tuesday seeking Khatallah’s detention provides some of the greatest detail to date on the suspect’s alleged role.
The motion says that in the days preceding the attack, the defendant “voiced concern and opposition to the presence of an American facility in Benghazi.” According to the motion, a group of 20 or more “armed men,” including militia members, assembled outside the U.S. compound at 9:45 p.m. the night of Sept. 11, 2012, and “aggressively breached” the gate.
They carried rifles, handguns and rocket-propelled grenade launchers.
After breaching the gate, they stole a U.S. vehicle, “forcibly entered” buildings and stole U.S. property.
“During this initial attack, buildings within the Mission were set on fire,” the court document says, noting that the fires “ultimately led to the deaths” of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and Information Management Officer Sean Smith. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: June 28, 2014 Filed under: Crime & Corruption, Law & Justice, U.S. News, War Room | Tags: 2012 Benghazi attack, Abu Bakr, Abu Khattala, Ansar al-Sharia, Benghazi, Libya, Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, United States, Washington Post
Posted: June 18, 2014 Filed under: Mediasphere, Politics, U.S. News | Tags: Ansar al-Sharia, Benghazi, Bret Baier, Fox News Channel, Hillary Clinton, State Department, Susan Rice, United States Department of State
Hillary Clinton’s interview with Bret Baier last night failed to win over noted columnist Charles Krauthammer. When questioned on Benghazi, Hillary Clinton flailed in response, according to Krauthammer.
Baier questioned Clinton on public statements made by the State Department announcing the cause of the attacks. Her answer, however, was “a flail,” Krauthammer said. “She had no answer to that. It was a pointed question.”
“Your own State Department is saying–Beth Jones, acting Assistant Secretary, Near East Affairs–telling the Libyans it was the terror group Ansar al-Sharia, and you, your State Department issues a statement that it’s the video. It’s a direct contradiction. She had no answer. She said you have to hold both ideas and then she goes off, but there’s nowhere to hide on this. And clearly, on the Sunday when Susan Rice goes on…(read more)
National Review Online
Posted: June 17, 2014 Filed under: Breaking News, Global, War Room | Tags: 2012 Benghazi attack, Allahpundit, Ansar al-Sharia, Barack Obama, Benghazi, Khattala, Libya, Politics of Libya, White House
For Hot Air, Allahpundit writes: Via the Free Beacon, make sure to read Ed’s post earlier to understand just how openly Khattala, the jihadi nabbed by U.S. forces over the weekend, has been living in Libya since the Benghazi attack. He was a prime suspect from the very beginning; he gave multiple interviews to western media in the years since, all but taunting the White House to come pick him up. The criminal charges against him were filed more than nine months ago. Only this month, for some reason, did the military finally move in. How come?
Shown here is an undated photo of Benghazi attack suspect Ahmed Abu Khattala. Libya Herald
Two possibilities. One: The political situation on the ground in Libya changed enough to make a U.S intervention possible. My theory of why Obama laid off initially was because he didn’t want the weak Libyan government to have to cope with a backlash from the local militias if American troops swooped in and kidnapped a big-name jihadi or two.
“I’m old enough to remember when U.S. counterterror developments, especially ‘terror alerts,’ were greeted by our liberal betters online as obviously political gambits by the Bush administration, designed to distract the public from more important matters.”
“Questioning the timing was standard practice for the lefty blogosphere circa 2006. Today, of course, it’s the height of crankery…”
As long as we could monitor Khattala and make sure he didn’t run, we could wait until the government was in a stronger position to make our move. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: June 17, 2014 Filed under: Breaking News, War Room | Tags: Abu Khattala, Ansar al-Sharia, Benghazi, J. Christopher Stevens, Karen Deyoung, Libya, Sept, September 11 attacks, United States, Washington Post
For The Washington Post, Karen Deyoung, Adam Goldman, AND Julie Tate report: U.S. Special Operations forces captured one of the suspected ringleaders of the terrorist attacks in Benghazi in a secret raid in Libya over the weekend, the first time one of the accused perpetrators of the 2012 assaults has been apprehended, according to U.S. officials.
The officials said Ahmed Abu Khattala was captured Sunday near Benghazi by American troops, working alongside the FBI, following months of planning, and was now in U.S. custody “in a secure location outside Libya.” The officials said there were no casualties in the operation, and that all U.S. personnel involved have safely left Libya.Abu Khattala’s apprehension is a major victory for the Obama administration, which has been criticized for having failed so far to bring those responsible for the Benghazi attacks to justice.One jubilant official called Abu Khattala’s capture “a reminder that when the United States says it’s going to hold someone accountable and he will face justice, this is what we mean.”
An armed man waves his rifle as buildings and cars are engulfed in flames after being set on fire inside the US consulate compound in Benghazi late on Sept. 11, 2012. The alleged ringleader in the attack has been captured by involving Special Operations forces. (AFP/Getty Images)
Sept. 11, 2012 – A vehicle and the surrounding buildings burn after being set on fire inside the U.S. consulate compound in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2011. AFP/Getty Images
The Washington Post learned about the capture Monday but agreed to a request from the White House to delay publication of a story because of security concerns.
Last year, the U.S. Attorney in the District filed charges against Abu Khattala and at least a dozen others in connection with the Benghazi attacks. None besides Abu Khattala — who is expected to be arraigned in Washington — has been apprehended.
Officials, speaking on condition of anonymity about the still-secret operation, would not say where Abu Khattala was being held. They said he was “en route” to the United States but would not say when he was expected to arrive.
Several terrorist suspects abducted overseas have been held aboard U.S. naval ships at sea while being interrogated, after which they were turned over to FBI “clean teams” to question them for trial without endangering the admissibility of evidence.
The State Department designated Abu Khattala a terrorist in January, calling him a “senior leader” of the Benghazi branch of the militant organization Ansar al-Sharia, a group that arose after the 2011 fall of the Libyan regime of Moammar Gaddafi.
Ansar al-Sharia was also designated a terrorist organization and held specifically responsible for the Sept. 11, 2012, assault on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi that left U.S. Ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens and State Department security official Sean Smith dead. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted: December 29, 2013 Filed under: Mediasphere, Politics, War Room, White House | Tags: Adam Housley, al Qaeda, Ansar al-Sharia, Benghazi, Fox News Channel, Libya, New York Times, United States, United States Department of State
Adam Housley reports: Fifteen months after the Sept. 11 attack in Benghazi which killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, the narrative of the attack continues to be shaped, and reshaped, by politicians and the press.
But a New York Times report published over the weekend has angered sources who were on the ground that night. Those sources, who continue to face threats of losing their jobs, sharply challenged the Times’ findings that there was no involvement from Al Qaeda or any other international terror group and that an anti-Islam film played a role in inciting the initial wave of attacks.
“It was a coordinated attack. It is completely false to say anything else. … It is completely a lie,” one witness to the attack told Fox News.
The controversial Times report has stirred a community that normally remains out of sight and wrestles with how to reveal the truth, without revealing classified information.
Fox News has learned that the attack on the consulate started with fighters assembling to conduct an assault.
Read the rest of this entry »