Reuters is still blaming the YouTube video, Innocence of Muslims, for the attacks on the US consulate in Benghazi on September 11, 2012. This is from an article they published on Sunday, August 18, 2013:
U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed in Libya’s Benghazi in 2012 when Islamist gunmen attacked the U.S. consulate during a protest by a mob angry over a film they said insulted the Prophet Mohammad.
This claim, first made by then-US Ambassador Susan Rice on all Sunday morning shows, has been debunked many times. Here are a few examples:
Charles Krauthammer called Hillary Clinton “eminently defeatable” in a general election and welcomed her early-frontrunner status among 2016 Democratic presidential hopefuls: “I think if she wants the nomination, it’ll be handed to her. Obviously the party’s swooning and believing that she’s inevitable . . . She was inevitable in 2008 as well; it didn’t exactly work out.”
Krauthammer offered a distinctly underwhelmed assessment of Clinton’s record since her last stay in the White House: “I thought as a senator she was rather good, but people speak about her as a superb secretary of state . . . Can someone name one achievement she had in the four years?” “I’m not sure I understand any of” the hype surrounding Clinton’s presidential prospects, he added, but “if she runs, I think as a conservative I’d welcome that; I think she’s eminently defeatable.”
Public reports corroborate some, but not all, of a stunning accusation about Benghazi.
Earlier this week, Roger L. Simon of PJ Media broke a story with shocking revelations, contending that slain U.S. ambassador Chris Stevens was in Benghazi on September 11 to buy back Stinger missiles from al-Qaeda groups that had been originally provided to them by the U.S. State Department.
Simon cited two former U.S. diplomats:
Stevens’ mission in Benghazi, they will say, was to buy back Stinger missiles from al-Qaeda groups issued to them by the State Department, not by the CIA. Such a mission would usually be a CIA effort, but the intelligence agency had opposed the idea because of the high risk involved in arming “insurgents” with powerful weapons that endanger civilian aircraft.
Hillary Clinton still wanted to proceed because, in part, as one of the diplomats said, she wanted “to overthrow [Qaddafi] on the cheap.”
This left Stevens in the position of having to clean up the scandalous enterprise when it became clear that the “insurgents” actually were al-Qaeda — indeed, in the view of one of the diplomats, the same group that attacked the consulate and ended up killing Stevens.
A careful review of reports from Libya over the past few years corroborates some parts of that account, but contradicts others:
- Some Libyan rebel leaders, including at least one who had spent time in a training camp in Afghanistan and who was in that country in September 2001, specifically asked Western countries to send Stinger missiles.
- Qaddafi’s intelligence services believed that the rebels were having the missiles smuggled in over the country’s southern border — but they believed the French were supplying the missiles.
- There is no evidence that the U.S. supplied the weapons, but it appears they gave their blessing to a secret Qatari effort to ship arms across Libya’s southern border in violation of a United Nations arms embargo.
- Anti-Qaddafi forces also obtained a significant number of anti-aircraft missiles from the regime’s bunkers early in the conflict.
- Enough Stinger missiles disappeared from regime stockpiles during the civil war to become a high priority and serious worry for the administration.
(Note that in much of the coverage of Libya, “Stinger” has turned into a catch-all term for any shoulder-mounted anti-aircraft missile.)
To save Eric Holder and the Department of Justice the trouble of reading my e-mail or collecting my phone records, all of the information in this report is gathered from public and open sources, both in the U.S. and overseas, and none of it can be considered classified or sensitive.
Before the war, Qaddafi’s regime in Libya possessed more of these kinds of missiles than did any other country except where they’re produced. On April 7, 2011, General Carter Ham, then recently promoted to head of U.S. Africa Command, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that “we do estimate that there were as many as 20,000 of these types of weapons in Libya before the conflict began.”
In March 2011, Ambassador Chris Stevens became the official U.S. liaison to the Libyan opposition. He first entered Benghazi on April 5, 2011, joined by a USAID team, while the war was still raging, to meet with rebel leaders.
On March 2, 2011, Mike Elkin of Wired reported as rebel forces cleaned out the Salmani weapons-maintenance depot in Benghazi, and mentioned “30-year-old rockets” and “anti-aircraft weapons.”
Via – NRO
“Within minutes of the first bullet being fired, the White House knew these heroes would be slaughtered if immediate air support was denied,” said Ty Woods’ father, Charles. “In less than an hour, the perimeters could have been secured, and American lives could have been saved. After seven hours fighting numerically superior forces, my son’s life was sacrificed because of the White House’s decision.”Why would Obama and Biden do such a thing? Because to launch a military operation against an al-Qaida affiliate on the anniversary of 9/11 would have exposed the hollowness of their boast through convention week and the days thereafter – that Osama was dead, and al-Qaida was finished. And so Ty Woods, Glen Doherty, Sean Smith and Chris Stevens were left to die, and a decision taken to blame an entirely irrelevant video and, as Secretary Clinton threatened, “have that person arrested.” And, in the weeks that followed, the government of the United States lied to its own citizens as thoroughly and energetically as any totalitarian state, complete with the midnight knock-on-the-door from not-so-secret policemen sent to haul the designated fall guy into custody.This goes far beyond the instinctive secretiveness to which even democratic governments are prone. The Obama administration created a wholly fictional storyline, and devoted its full resources to maintaining it. I understand why Mitt Romney chose not to pursue this line of argument in the final debate. The voters who will determine this election are those who voted for Obama four years ago and this time round either switch to the other fellow or sit on their hands. In electoral terms, it’s probably prudent of Mitt not to rub their faces in their 2008 votes. Nevertheless, when the president and other prominent officials stand by as four Americans die and then abuse their sacrifice as contemptuously as this administration did, decency requires that they be voted out of office as an act of urgent political hygiene.
On meeting Obama: “Could not look me in the eye … like shaking hands with a dead fish.”
Charles Woods, the father of Tyrone Woods, who was killed in the 9/11 terrorist attack at the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, reveals details of meeting Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton at the publically broadcast memorial service for the slain Americans at Andrews Air Force Base only days after the attack. And, in a recent radio appearance, Woods publicly questions who made the call not to send in back-up forces to possibly save his son’s life, as well as the three other Americans killed in Benghazi (which includes the American ambassador to Libya).
“When [Obama] came over to our little area” at Andrew Air Force Base, says Woods, “he kind of just mumbled, you know, ‘I’m sorry.’ His face was looking at me, but his eyes were looking over my shoulder like he could not look me in the eye. And it was not a sincere, ‘I’m really sorry, you know, that your son died,’ but it was totally insincere, more of whining type, ‘I’m sorry.’”
Woods says that shaking President Obama’s hands at his son’s memorial service was “like shaking hands with a dead fish.”
Last night, it was revealed that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had ordered more security at the U.S. mission in Benghazi before it was attacked where four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens were murdered by Al-Qaeda but President Obama denied the request.
Klein also said that those same sources said that former President Bill Clinton has been “urging” his wife [Hillary] to release official State Department documents that prove she called for additional security at the compound in Libya, which would almost certainly result in President Obama losing the election.
Klein explained that everyone knew what was happening in Benghazi from the CIA to the National Security Agency and that there’s intelligence cables that have not been released.
Wilkow asked, “If everybody knew this including the White House, who would have given the order to go in and save the ambassador?”
Klein, “The President…he should have given the order to use the rapid reaction force…”
Wilkow, “Not Petraeus?”
Klein, “Well it has to come from the president.”
Wilkow also asked Klein about Valerie Jarrett who’s the Senior Advisor to Obama and Assistant to the President for Public Engagement and Intergovernmental Affairs, and her role in this cover-up.
Klein said, “We don’t know but we can only assume that every action that the president takes, and he said so, he is on the record saying “I don’t take any actions without passing it by Valerie Jarrett”… so we have to assume that Valerie Jarrett whose also by the way, hooked into the Chicago campaign line…she has a direct line to David Axlerod, was a part of this whole cover-up in the White House.”
This latest news comes on the heels when the Paulding County Republican Examiner reportedthat former CIA officer, Clare Lopez was a guest on the Glenn Beck TV on Monday evening and told Beck, “They let our ambassador and others die. In real time, watching it happen, and they didn’t do anything about it.
- Report: Hillary Asked For More Security in Benghazi, Obama Said No (genomega1.wordpress.com)
- Ed Klein: Bill Clinton ‘Urging’ Hillary To Release Benghazi Documents That Would ‘Exonerate’ Her, Destroy Obama’s Re-Election Hopes (redalertpolitics.com)
- Bombshell: Clinton Ordered More Security, Obama Denied Request (itmakessenseblog.com)
- The Blaze: CIA OPERATORS TOLD TO ‘STAND DOWN’ DURING ATTACK & 3 URGENT REQUESTS FOR MILITARY BACK-UP WERE DENIED (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Obama himself denied security for Benghazi? (righttruth.typepad.com)
- Chris Stevens’ Last Words (frontpagemag.com)
- Ed Klein: Hillary Requested More Security For Benghazi, But The Orders Were Never Carried Out (minx.cc)
ED KLEIN: BILL CLINTON ‘URGING’ HILLARY TO RELEASE BENGHAZI DOCUMENTS THAT WOULD ‘EXONERATE’ HER, DESTROY OBAMA’S RE-ELECTION HOPES
Posted on October 25, 2012 at 12:44 am By Jason Howert, The Blaze
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton ordered additional security for the U.S. mission in Benghazi ahead of the terrorist attack but the orders were never carried out, according to “legal counsel” to Clinton who spoke to best-selling author Ed Klein. Those same sources also say former President Bill Clinton has been “urging” his wife to release official State Department documents that prove she called for additional security at the compound in Libya, which would almost certainly result in President Obama losing the election.
Appearing on TheBlazeTV’s “Wilkow!” on Wednesday night, Klein told host Andrew Wilkow that Bill and Hillary Clinton have been having “big fights” for “two or three weeks” about the issue, according to his two sources on Clinton’s legal counsel. While Bill Clinton wishes his wife would “exonerate” herself by releasing the documents that show she wasn’t at fault for the tragic security failure in Libya, the secretary of state refuses to do so because she doesn’t want to be viewed as a traitor to the Democratic party…
- As Benghazi blame nears Hillary, Clintons grow furious | The Daily Caller (wingod.newsvine.com)
- BLAME GAME: As Benghazi blame nears Hillary, Clintons grow furious. “With tensions between Preside… (pjmedia.com)
- Obama bites the hand that feeds him (powerlineblog.com)
- Clinton: Facebook post about Benghazi attack not hard ‘evidence’ – Ynetnews (ynetnews.com)
- VIDEO: Hillary Clinton Reacts to Newly Released Emails on Benghazi Attack (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Clintons reportedly “furious”as Benghazi bus treads approach Hillary’s back (riehlworldview.com)
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton appears to be sacrificing herself for the sake of the administration after she took the blame for the attack on the U.S. Embassy in Benghazi and controversial aftermath.
To put things quite literally, she told a CNN reporter on Monday, just a few minutes after landing in Peru for a visit, very plainly, “I take responsibility” for what happened in Libya on September 11. CNN makes it clear that she “insisted President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are not involved in security decisions.” With the election right around the corner and everything, Clinton added, “I want to avoid some kind of political gotcha.”
It couldn’t have been easy for Clinton to take the fall like that. It’s not like she was backed into a corner by Republicans. In fact, Republicans have been actually defending Hillary Clinton lately as they direct the blame towards Barack Obama and Joe Biden who happen to be seeking reelection in three weeks. Senior Romney adviser Ed Gillespie was one of these Republicans on Sunday when talking with Fox News’s Christopher Wallace about the attack and confusing aftermath. Gillespie described the administration’s reaction to the attack as “an effort by President Obama and Vice President Biden to say, no, it was really Secretary Clinton.”
When you put it like that, it does sort of sound like Clinton was backed into a corner, doesn’t it? Regardless of whether she wants it or not, Hillary Clinton’s job is on the line in the upcoming election, and everybody knows that this Benghazi attack is really turning into a headache for the Obama campaign. The administration did a good enough job brushing off accusations that it had screwed up when it pointed to the intelligence agencies for sending mixed reports in the days after the attack. Indeed, The Atlantic Wire’s John Hudson said late last week that the blame was shifting from the State Department to the CIA and called it “quite the unexpected development.” Push come to shove, though, it seems a lot simpler for Secretary Clinton to call mea culpa then it does to drill down into the guts of America’s intelligence operation for the Middle East…
- Hillary Clinton: “I Take Responsibility” For What Happened In Benghazi (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Indecision: Will the Obama Campaign Throw Hillary Under the Bus? (pjmedia.com)
- Hillary Clinton Takes Responsibility for Benghazi Attack (wibw.com)
- Why Hillary Clinton Isn’t Criticized on Benghazi (swampland.time.com)
- Obama bites the hand that feeds him (powerlineblog.com)
- Hillary Clinton: ‘I Take Responsibility’ for Lack of Security in Libya (nationalreview.com)
BENGHAZI, Libya — A team of US investigators visited Libyas second city Benghazi on Thursday to examine the site where Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed in an attack last month.
“An American investigative committee visited the site where the US ambassador was killed”
a defense ministry official in Benghazi told AFP, confirming that the team included FBI agents.
The dirt road which leads to the front gate of the US mission in Benghazi was sealed off in the morning by defence ministry vehicles mounted with weapons, an AFP correspondent reported.
Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens was killed in an attack on the US consulate in Benghazi.
“They arrived in the early morning and worked for three hours collecting evidence…”
More via >> NYPOST.com
- State Dept opens Benghazi consulate attack probe (cnsnews.com)
- Benghazi Security Requests Were DENIED (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- State Dept opens Benghazi consulate attack probe (newsvine.com)
- US ‘begins drawing up targets in response to Benghazi attack’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Sensitive U.S. files unguarded in Libya embassy: report _Embassy Security was to be paid about $4.00/hr (engineeringevil.com)
- Issa to Hillary: Why did State refuse requests to bolster Benghazi security? (hotair.com)
- Oabma #epicfail: U.S. Embassy in Libya asked for extra security, request denied (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
In his United Nations speech on Tuesday, President Obama talked about the September 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya…
“there should be no doubt that we will be relentless in tracking down the killers and bringing them to justice.”
What he didn’t say is how relentless he’ll be in tracking down the security lapses and intelligence failures that contributed to the murders. Let’s say there’s some doubt about that.
None of the initial explanations offered by the White House and State Department since the assault on the Benghazi consulate has held up…
ABACAUSA.COM The attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya on September 12, 2012.
“The office of the director of National Intelligence has said we have no actionable intelligence that an attack on our post in Benghazi was planned or imminent,” Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said last week, calling the security measures in place there “robust.”
Cell phone video footage and witness testimony from Benghazi soon undercut the Administration trope of an angry march “hijacked” by a few bad people. As it turned out, the assault was well-coordinated, with fighters armed with guns, RPGs and diesel canisters, which were used to set the buildings on fire…
…You’d think this admission would focus attention on why the compound was so vulnerable to begin with. But the Administration wants to avoid this conversation. The removal of all staff from Benghazi, including a large component of intelligence officers, would also seem to hinder their ability to investigate the attacks and bring the killers to justice…
Deteriorating security was no secret. On April 10, for example, an explosive device was thrown at a convoy carrying U.N. envoy Ian Martin. On June 6, an improvised explosive device exploded outside the U.S. consulate. In late August, State warned American citizens who were planning to travel to Libya about the threat of assassinations and car bombings.
Rummaging through the Benghazi compound, a CNN reporter found a seven-page notebook belonging to Ambassador Stevens. According to the network, the diary said he was concerned about the “never-ending” security threats in Benghazi and wrote that he was on an al Qaeda hit list…
Imagine the uproar if, barely a month before Election Day, the Bush Administration had responded to a terrorist strike—on Sept. 11 no less—in this fashion. Obfuscating about what happened. Refusing to acknowledge that clear security warnings were apparently ignored. Then trying to shoot the messengers who bring these inconvenient truths to light in order to talk about anything but a stunning and deadly attack on U.S. sovereign territory.
Four Americans lost their lives in Benghazi in a terrorist attack that evidence suggests should have been anticipated and might have been stopped…