BREAKING: Hundreds of Mediterranean Migrants Feared Dead After Boat Capsizes

23fdaf51c717337df143c9d5fe0b2fa26639b010-1429424264-55334888-620x348-1

Hundreds of people are feared to have drowned after a boat carrying up to 700 migrants capsized in the Mediterranean Sea

A major rescue operation is under way after the vessel carrying “between 500 and 700 migrants” capsized at midnight local time, south of the Italian island of Lampedusa.

So far 28 people have been rescued.

Earlier this week, four hundred people are feared to have drowned when their vessel capsized north of Libya.

Passing ship

Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat said that many people were feared dead.

Italian ships, the Maltese Navy and commercial vessels are all involved in the rescue operation in Libyan waters.

The Times of Malta newspaper reported that the migrants fell overboard when they rushed to draw the attention of a passing merchant ship.

_82415161_maltaitalylibya4640415

New migrants emergency – 28 rescued, many corpses found as boat with 700 capsizes

Twenty-eight migrants have been rescued but hundreds are feared dead after a boat carrying as many as 700 migrants capsized last night.

The incident happened in an area just off Libyan waters, 120 miles south of Lampedusa.

The emergency was declared at about midnight when the migrants are believed to have moved to one side of the boat, capsizing it, when a merchant ship approached.  

The incident bears similarities to another case last week when some 400 migrants are believed to have perished. Only some 150 were rescued. 

A number of bodies were washed ashore in Libya. 

Mark Micallef, a journalist with the paper, told the BBC such incidents were “not at all uncommon”.

“We have seen this sort of scenario happen all over again, where a boat gets capsized right at the moment of rescue. Read the rest of this entry »


21 Victim Salute: ISIS Beheads Egyptian Christians, Releases Another Snuff Video

150215-isis-still-blurred_9b8a9cc8975da8cc97fa8399d2ab6637.nbcnews-ux-600-320

Hasani Gittens reports: The terrorists known as ISIS released a video on Sunday that seems to show the militant group beheading 21 Egyptian Christians kidnapped in Libya.

The Egyptians, dressed in orange jump suits, were beheaded after being forced down on the ground on a beach. An early caption in the video says the location is “Wilayat Tarabulus by the Mediterranean Sea,” which suggests that it was filmed near Tripoli.

“This undeniably means that the group now views Christian populations as not only targets but also part of the bigger ‘Crusader plot,’ not separate from the US-led coalition or aggressors. The group’s message is highly intimidating and it somewhat challenges the Western nations to intervene and save the Christians as it intervened to save the Yazidis and others.”

Each of the victims, who are all male, is paired with a masked, knife-wielding terrorist and, after a brief statement by the ISIS leader, they are all beheaded.

The video is called “A Message signed with blood to the nation of the cross” and was released by the group’s Al-Hayat Media Center, according to Flashpoint Intelligence, a global security firm and NBC News consultant. Read the rest of this entry »