SEATTLE (Reuters) – Eric M. Johnson reports: Magma levels are slowly rebuilding inside Mount St. Helens, a volcano in Washington state that erupted in 1980 and killed 57 people, although there was no sign of an impending eruption, U.S. scientists said.
The roughly 8,300-foot volcano erupted in an explosion of hot ash and gas on May 18, 1980, spewing debris over some 230 square miles and causing more than a billion dollars in property damage. Entire forests were crushed and river systems altered in the blast, which began with a 5.2 magnitude earthquake. Read the rest of this entry »
- “Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it,” Morgan told The New York Times’ David Carr.
- …dwindling viewing figures and an anti-gun campaign that alienated a vast swath of his audience had led him to conclude his show had ‘run it’s course’… — thetimes.co.uk
- By phone, Morgan agreed with Carr that things have not gone well at CNN with Piers Morgan Live.“It’s been a painful period, and lately we have taken a bath in the ratings,” Morgan said… — Brietbart.com
- “Last fall, the already struggling Piers Morgan Live faced increased competition from a revised Fox News Channel lineup that included a strong new performer at 9 p.m. EST with Megyn Kelly’s The Kelly File…” — Entertainment Weekly
- “CNN confirms that ‘Piers Morgan Live’ is ending,” the network said in a statement. “The date of the final program is still to be determined.” — lattimes.com
- “…He hosted BBC’s “You Can’t Fire Me, I’m Famous,” and did interview shows and documentaries for ITV…CNN did not comment on Morgan’s future with the channel…” Associated Press – fox news.com
- “Mr. Morgan’s approach to gun regulation was more akin to King George III, peering down his nose at the unruly colonies and wondering how to bring the savages to heel. He might have wanted to recall that part of the reason the right to bear arms is codified in the Constitution is that Britain was trying to disarm the citizenry at the time.” — David Carr, NYT