Five students were burned as they made hot chocolate in a cooking class at Northside College Prep High School on the city’s Northwest Side, police said.
[MORE PHOTOS: Hot chocolate ‘explosion’ evacuates Northside Prep]
“…I don’t know if you’d call it an explosion. The product was possibly over-heated to the point it bubbled over, it splashed out.”
— Chicago Fire Department Deputy Dist. Chief Patrick Brennan
The most seriously injured suffered received burns to her face. She, and the others, are all expected to be OK. Four were taken to the hospital, and one student declined treatment, officials said.