The government decided Friday to strengthen unilateral sanctions against North Korea using measures such as expanding the range of entities and individuals subject to asset freezes.
The decision follows North Korea’s repeated nuclear tests and ballistic missile launches.
The new measures, which are in line with the unilateral sanctions introduced in February, include expanding a reentry ban to include people who have traveled to North Korea.
The government intends to urge Pyongyang to change its position by stringently blocking the departure and entry of people linked to North Korea’s nuclear and missile developments and flow of funds, according to sources.
“I intend to take further unilateral measures in cooperation with the United States and South Korea,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said during a meeting of Cabinet ministers concerned with the issue of Japanese citizens who were abducted by North Korea, held at the Prime Minister’s Office the same day.
Under the new measures, the range of asset freezes will be expanded to 54 entities and 58 individuals, the sources said.
The list includes a trading company in Liaoning Province, China, that was sanctioned by the United States in September for its alleged involvement in the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction by North Korea. Read the rest of this entry »
New lawsuit filed to reveal content of 2 Clinton emails
A new review by two intelligence agencies has backed up an earlier conclusion that at least two emails on Hillary Clinton’s personal server contained ‘top secret’ information.
Catherine Herridge reports: The review by the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency went back to the original source documents, and follows the finding last month by the intelligence community inspector general that emails on the former secretary of state’s system contained information at the highest classification level. This included intelligence on special programs about North Korea’s nuclear weapons.
Fox News is told the CIA and NGA did the review because their intelligence was at issue. Only the intelligence agency that gets the information in the first place has the authority to determine its classification.
In both emails, the State Department did not generate the intelligence, and therefore did not have classification authority. The inspector general’s August report simply transmitted the classification findings of the CIA and NGA.
In a statement, Andrea Williams, a spokeswoman for the intelligence community inspector general, said “the overall classification of those two emails remains unchanged. Both emails were classified when they were created and remain classified now.”
The conclusion further undercuts the Clinton campaign’s claim that the classification issue amounts to a dispute among agencies.
She said Aug. 18 in Las Vegas, “What you’re seeing now is a disagreement between agencies saying, ‘you know what, they should have,’ and the other saying, ‘no, they shouldn’t.’ That has nothing to do with me.”
In the wake of the latest intelligence review, first reported by The New York Times, it appears the Clinton campaign is sticking with that argument.
Campaign spokesman Nick Merrill told the Times, ”Our hope remains that these releases continue without being hampered by bureaucratic infighting among the intelligence community, and that the releases continue to be as inclusive and transparent as possible.”
Only the Clinton campaign and State Department are challenging the “top secret” classification. Read the rest of this entry »