[VIDEO] Kentucky Democrat Gives Bizarre Speech After GOP Victories: ‘Mary Did Not Ride An Elephant Into Bethlehem’Posted: November 4, 2015
“I don’t know. Nobody knows. The Bible doesn’t tell us that, does it? But I believe the Bible is a book of parables … I don’t know whether Jesus would have been a Democrat or Republican, and nobody else does, but I know this. He was a carpenter and a teacher, and I bet every carpenter and teacher I know are pretty good Democrats.”
David Rutz reports: Kentucky’s Democratic House Speaker Greg Stumbo stumbled in a speech Tuesday night following big Republican victories, giving a bizarre speech covering Jesus, religion and the Bible and remarking that Mary “did not ride an elephant into Bethlehem” before giving birth to her son.
“Let me tell you. I am going to admit I have not read the holy book from front to finish like some of you probably have, but my reading of our Bible shows that the word Republican or Democrat isn’t used, and people sometimes ask me … ‘What would Jesus have been if he were alive? Would he have been a Democrat or a Republican?’
The Federalist‘s Mollie Hemingway reported on the odd moment that did not appear to be received well by the assembled Democrats, who offered muted applause to his remarks.
“And the other thing I know is that if in fact the Bible is a book of parables, like I believe it is, think about this: Mary did not ride an elephant into Bethlehem that night.”
He made his comments following a devastating night for Kentucky Democrats, as Republican Matt Bevin won a surprising victory for the governorship, and Republican Jenean Hampton became Kentucky’s first African American to hold statewide office with her lieutenant governor election.
Stumbo was upset by the notion, in his view, that Democrats were considered less “godly” than Republicans. Read the rest of this entry »
The handful of states left in the US that don’t do this are becoming increasingly isolated. I’m glad to see a Illinois finally take this step.
- Illinois State Police Mails First Wave Of Concealed-Carry Permits (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- Illinois State Police Begin Mailing Out Concealed Carry Permits (progressillinois.com)
- First Illinois concealed carry licenses going in mail (wgntv.com)
- State police mail first Ill. concealed carry permits (kmov.com)
- First Illinois concealed carry licenses going in mail (cltv.com)
- Your Illinois gun permit may be in the mail (stltoday.com)
- IN THE MAIL! Illinois sends out first 5,000 concealed carry licenses (bearingarms.com)
- State Police Mail First Concealed Carry Permits (stlouis.cbslocal.com)
- SAF Congratulates First 5,000 Illinois CCW Permit Recipients (sys-con.com)
Sen. Creigh Deeds, D-Bath, is in a hospital after being stabbed this morning in his home, the Richmond Times-Dispatch is reporting. His son, Gus, died from a gunshot wound.
The events leading up to the shooting and stabbing were unclear, the newspaper was reporting. State Police said troopers arrived at Deeds’ Bath County residence around 7:25 a.m. and remain on scene as they investigate the incident.
Deeds was flown from the scene to the University of Virginia Medical Center and was listed in critical condition. A message left for a university spokeswoman was not immediately returned. Read the rest of this entry »