Majerczyk faced up to five years in prison. His lawyers argued in a sentencing memo that his participation was limited to the unauthorized access of information on his personal computer, ‘for his personal use and viewing only.’
“Majerczyk sent phishing emails to his victims, tricking them into providing their usernames and passwords to a third-party website, according to a plea agreement. He in turn used the information to access their accounts, leading to material belonging to more than 300 victims.”
CHICAGO — A Chicago man was sentenced to nine months in a plea deal Tuesday for hacking the electronic accounts of 30 celebrities and stealing their personal data, including nude photos and videos.
Edward Majerczyk, 29, was accused of orchestrating a phishing scheme from November 2013 to August 2014 that netted personal information from celebrities including Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton and many more in Los Angeles.
Lawrence likened the privacy invasion to a “sex crime” and said she worried about its impact on her career.
Majerczyk, the son of two Chicago police officers, did not plead guilty to distributing the images. His plea was limited to
his role in obtaining them.
“At the time of the offense, Mr. Majerczyk was suffering from depression and looked to pornography websites and Internet chat rooms in an attempt to fill some of the voids and disappointment he was feeling in his life.”
After his case was transferred from California to Chicago, he pleaded guilty in September to one count of unauthorized access to a protected computer to obtain information.
A spokesman for the US attorney’s office in Los Angeles told the Chicago Tribune that the investigation into who leaked the sensitive information was ongoing.
Majerczyk sent phishing emails to his victims, tricking them into providing their usernames and passwords to a third-party website, according to a plea agreement. He in turn used the information to access their accounts, leading to material belonging to more than 300 victims, according to the plea agreement.
Majerczyk faced up to five years in prison. His lawyers argued in a sentencing memo that his participation was limited to the unauthorized access of information on his personal computer, “for his personal use and viewing only.” Read the rest of this entry »
BURBANK — Prosecutors say a southwest suburban Chicago man used more than 3,000 Link cards to steal almost $1 million in government funds by purchasing energy drinks and candy and then reselling them.
The Chicago Tribune reported that 46-year-old Wael Ghosheh has been charged with theft of government property, identity theft, money laundering and unauthorized use of food stamp benefits, and wire fraud.
He’s being held in Cook County Jail after appearances Wednesday and Thursday at the Leighton Criminal Court Building.
Officials say Ghosheh used multiple Link cards, which provide federal funding to low-income individuals for nutrition assistance, to make large-volume purchases at a store, which alerted law enforcement. Read the rest of this entry »
According to The Hollywood Reporter, nine luxury cars, which were set to go to the Alps for filming on the upcoming Bond film SPECTRE, were stolen during a raid in Germany that occurred in October. Of those cars, five were Range Rover Sport models that had been customized for the film…(more)
Some very organized thieves have been targeting California nut growers
Among the most recent hits was at an Escalon farm where the bandits made off with over 140 thousand pounds of walnuts, which have an estimated value of 400 thousand dollars.
“Right now, everybody wants to be a nut grower because it’s kind of like the gold rush of the 1850s…”Everybody wants the gold.”
Mother Nature Network reports:
Thieves are stealing California walnuts by the truckload
Bill McCleery reports: The details sound like the plot of a bad horror movie: Desperate for cash, a young man breaks into a warehouse to steal the brains of dead mental patients, and the body parts are later sold on eBay.
This story line, however, is real.
Authorities say David Charles, a 21-year-old Indianapolis resident, is accused of breaking into the Indiana Medical History Museum multiple times this year and stealing jars of human brain tissue and other preserved material. A tipster who paid hundreds of dollars on the online auction site helped bring the organ entrepreneurism to an end.
The museum, 3045 W. Vermont St., is the site of the former Central State Hospital, which served patients with psychiatric and mental disorders from 1848 to 1994. Indianapolis police had investigated several break-ins at the museum’s storage facility before a California phone call led police to Charles.
A San Diego man who had bought six jars of human brain tissue off eBay for $600, plus $70 shipping, called the museum after noticing labels on the containers and suspecting some kind of skulduggery, according to court documents.
The thefts happened on Connellsville Road.
“I went to get my mail, and when I came back and looked at the nativity, the baby was gone,” Valarie Goodwin said.
Stealing baby Jesus is so widespread, that municipalities, churches, and homeowners are now using GPS devices and security cameras for security.
One nativity scene is even protected by a metal screen.
Goodwin found a stand-in baby Jesus, she’s just hoping the person responsible for the theft, will return the baby unharmed.